About Samvaad Institution
The Samvaad Institute of Speech and Hearing was established by Radhika Poovayya, Speech Language Pathologist with vast professional, clinical and teaching experience. The Institute is affiliated to the Bangalore Central University and is recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India. GSM Education Trust manages the activities of the Institute.
Established in 2005, the objectives of the institute are
- Train professionals in the specialized field of Speech Language Pathology and Audiology.
- Provide services to people with speech and language disabilities
- Increase public awareness and dispel myths about speech, hearing and behaviour problems
- To undertake clinical based research in the field of speech and hearing
Institute was Inaugurated on July 3rd 2005 by Prof. Thimmappa, Vice Chancellor, Bangalore University. After the inauguration, the staff and students took a walkathon to create awareness on speech and hearing disabilities.
Sitting left to right : T M Poovayya, Radhika Poovayya, Prof. Thimmappa and Dr. Uma Subramanyan
Community services for people with speech, language, swallowing, and hearing disabilities
- Auditory Verbal Therapy for children with cochlear implants from Low Socio Economic Strata
- Pre-School for Children with hearing impairment
- Neuro rehab center for stroke and other neuro communication disorders
- Infant screening at local hospitals
- 2 Special Schools for children with disability
- Community based program for identification of speech and hearing disorders at 5 primary healthcare centers.
ABOUT THE DIRECTOR
Radhika Poovayya, Speech Language Pathologist and US Board Certified Behavior Analyst, is the founder and Director of Samvaad Institute and Samvaad centres for speech therapy and ABA therapy. She has over 30 years of professional, clinical and teaching experience. She has worked in rural and urban settings and with families from all strata of society. Her area of expertise is to provide ABA based therapy for children with autism/ ADHD and also handles behavior problems in school going children. She also has specialized in treatment of stuttering and Aphasia She has presented papers in various national and international conferences. She is also active in creating awareness and dispelling myths on disabilities
She has 3 clinics in Bangalore, Hebbal, Indiranagar and Marathahalli. She consults at Cloud Nine Hospitals, Old airport road , Bangalore. She has one international centre in Phonm Penh, Cambodia.
- Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA), USA
- Masters in Behaviour analysis from Florida institute of technology , USA
- Masters in Speech and Hearing from All India Institute of Speech and Hearing (AIISH), India’s first and premier education institute
- Managing trustee of GSM Education Trust
- Managing trustee Samvaad Foundation
- Completed term in the Governing council and Expert committee of RCI
Previous Institutional/ Hospital Associations
- Tata Tea , General Hospital, Munnar, Kerala
- Dr. S R C Institute of Speech and Hearing, Bangalore
- Bangalore International School, Bangalore
- Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
- HOSMAT, Bangalore
- Baptist Hospital, Bangalore
What lead RADHIKA POOVAYYA to take up the study of a behaviour analysis despite being an experienced speech language pathologist ?
When Radhika Poovayya started her first clinic offering speech therapy in Domlur, Bangalore in 2002, she realized that children with autism have challenges that regular speech therapy could not address. Challenges like, non-compliance, temper tantrums, lack of motivation to learn or an uneven language development, may not be effectively dealt by speech therapy based approach.
In 2003, a parent introduced her to applied behavior science, as an approach that was well researched and used extensively in the west. Parents organized the first conference in Chennai and after attending the conference, Radhika was convinced that she had to learn the ABA approach. She then organized the first seminar in Bangalore on behavior analysis in 2008. Smita Awasti BCBA D was invited from Dubai and this brought in the awareness on the effectiveness of ABA among parents.Today ,Bangalore has the most number of behaviour analysts in the country.
She signed up to do her masters in Applied Behavior Analysis, (ABA) from Florida Institute of Technology. The practical aspects of the course requires 1500 hours of mentoring under a Behavior analyst . Radhika was fortunate to mentor under Siri Ming, BCBA D a renowned behavior analyst in the US. In 2010 she passed the exam to become a US Board certified behavior analyst. She is the first speech pathologist in the country to have a dual degree in speech language pathology and behaviour analysis.
Rotary Community Service Award 2018
TIMES Emerging Icons in Health care Award 2019
American Speech & hearing Association Conference 2016
International Conference of Behavioral Analysis
To be a world class institution that provides:
- Excellent education in speech and hearing science
- Comprehensive rehabilitation of communication disorders
- To prepare students, through Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses in Speech and Hearing to become world class professionals by providing sound theoretical knowledge and excellent clinical training
- To establish the Institute as a reputed center for excellent diagnostic and rehabilitation services by providing professional and individualized care
-- BOARD OF TRUSTEES --
Samvaad Institute is managed by GSM Education Trust
- Managing Trustee
- Speech Language pathologist
- US Board Certified Behaviour Analyst with 30+ years of experience
- Speech Language Pathologist (MSc) with 40+ years of experience
T M Poovayya
- CEO Blossom Showers Pvt.Ltd and Planter
Rotary Award for New approach to Eye Donation
Mr. Madan Ranganna
- Operations Head at Olam International
- Active Rotarian
Associate Director Design FRDC Pvt.Ltd
- Secretary Overseas Women Charities
SAMVAAD FOUNDATION , BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Saswati Ghosh Beliappa
- Urban planner from SEPT University, Ahmedabad
- Consultant with World Bank, Asian Development Bank and UN Habitat
- Presently retired
- Previously worked in advertising and retail
Dr. Ali Khwaja
- Engineering graduate from IIT, MIE, MIM with PhD in behavioural sciences
- Founder and Head of Banjara Academy, a unique institution committed to the improvement of quality of life
- Founder and Director of Samvaad Institute
- US Board Certified Behaviour Analyst with 30+ years experience.
- Audiologist from JSS Institute, Mysore
- Won awards for research at national and international level.